Check Out These Pages

January 3, 2014

More about Mary, Undoer of Knots

In yesterday's post, I shared a devotion to Mary, Undoer of Knots. I was reminded of this title for Mary when I read this article from Zenit. I learned about the origin of this devotion: 
It began in 1612 with a miserably unhappy marriage.

A German nobleman Wolfgang Langenmante and his wife Sophie were on the brink of divorce. Desperate, Wolfgang sought advice from Father Jakob Rem, a Jesuit priest. The story goes that at their last visit, Wolfgang handed his wedding ribbon to Father Jakob who lifted it up to an image of “Our Lady of the Snows” and prayed, “I raise up the bond
of marriage, that all knots be loosed and resolved.” (At the time, a bride and groom were “tied” together in the wedding ceremony with a ribbon, symbolizing their unbreakable union.) The unknotted ribbon became bright white -- a sign of Mary’s intercession -- and the Langenmantes’ marriage survived.
According to the article, Pope Francis loves this title for Mary. It's one of my favorites as well. As it says in the article, "We all have knots in our lives. We all need prayer to help us with the knots that can seem impossible to untie: marriage troubles, money problems, unemployment, illness, loneliness. Fears and worries of all kinds. Mary’s intercession is very powerful and asking for her help with our daily struggles will only bring us into deeper relationship with God."

If you're interested in learning more about Mary, Undoer of Knots, follow this link.

Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. What a (non-)coincidence! I also wrote about Our Lady, Undoer of Knots, this week, in how she has helped me. [I did the novena exactly one year ago.] A wonderful devotion. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for comment moderation, but find it necessary in order to eliminate spam.

Thank you for your visit. I read every comment and value both your visit and your thoughts. Please stop by every Tuesday and share your favorite photos.