Check Out These Pages

April 17, 2012

Cranberry Salad Dressing (re-post)

Not long ago, we were going to a dinner at the house of a friend from church. Lots of other church friends were going, and we were all bringing something to eat and share. I brought a lovely fresh garden salad and wanted to try a new salad dressing. I was in a real hurry, so I quickly pulled off a recipe from All Recipes dot com. I'm going to share their original recipe here, but let me tell you from the start that I was in SUCH a hurry that I made it wrong... which I didn't notice until much later.
Cranberry Salad Dressing (the original)
1 cup cranberries
1 medium navel orange, peeled and sectioned
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon grated onion
1 cup vegetable oil

In a blender or food processor, combine cranberries, orange, sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, and onion. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
As it turns out, the ingredients were listed in two columns, and I was completely oblivious to the second column. In other words, I didn't see that I was supposed to have added salt, ground mustard, grated onion, or oil... and I didn't add any of these ingredients. I didn't have a navel orange, either, so I substituted a Minneola tangerine. And the original recipe didn't specify what type of vinegar, so I decided to use red wine vinegar. And when I was processing, I remembered my longstanding motto:There's no such thing as too many cranberries.

Therefore, here's what I wound up making:
Cranberry Salad Dressing (the OOPS-I-MADE-I-WRONG version)
1 1/2  cup cranberries
1 Minneola tangerine, peeled and sectioned
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar

In a blender or food processor, combine cranberries, orange, sugar, and vinegar.

It got rave reviews, and I had some requests for the recipe. It wasn't until I went to copy the recipe down that I noticed I'd flubbed up the original version.

Next time I make it, I plan to try a few modification. Here's what I'm thinking I'll try:
Cranberry Salad Dressing (the MIGHT-AS-WELL-WING-IT-AGAIN version)
1 1/2  cup cranberries
1 Minneola tangerine, peeled and sectioned
1/2 - 2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar, or may substitute champagne vinegar

In a blender or food processor, combine cranberries, orange, sugar, and vinegar.
So how about you. Have you ever messed up a recipe and found that you really like your adaptation?
Follow Me on Pinterest

13 comments:

  1. "In a hurry" has led to some of my best kitchen discoveries. ;) Looking forward to trying this dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your versions of cranberry salad dressing look great! I'll have to use this as I start incorporating more salads in my diet! Thanks for sharing with Tuesdays at the Table. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always on the hunt for new salad dressings - any of your versions would work wonderfully for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for kitchen flubs! LOL. It looks really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great recipe that we would really enjoy! Hope you have a fabulous week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for cranberries!!! Our community which GROWS and HARVESTS and SELLS them thanks you for helping us prosper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks very good. Most of my food experiments are using what's on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dressing sounds delicious - I love cranberries and oranges together in just about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the variations of this dressing sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds delicious: sweet and tart. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you forgot the oil......and no one cared!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds yummmy :-) Dropping by from GM

    ReplyDelete
  13. we so love salad, this would be nice to try, thanks for linking and hope to see you on next
    green monday meme

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for comment moderation, but find it necessary in order to eliminate spam.

Thank you for your visit. I read every comment and value both your visit and your thoughts. Please stop by every Tuesday and share your favorite photos.