Check Out These Pages

July 10, 2011

Duke Multiple Myeloma Bike Ride... and a few other pix

Yesterday I had an opportunity to volunteer at the 4th annual Duke Multiple Myeloma Bike Ride. Riders could choose to ride in the 30, 50, or 100 K race, and funds raised are used to support Duke research into multiple myeloma. Here are a few shots from the ride. Along with 2 other volunteers, we manned the first rest stop (at 15 K), where riders could get a cool drink and an energy-boosting snack to sustain them for the next leg of the journey in the humid, 90 degree heat.
I'm using the next two shots to demonstrate using shutter speed to freeze action (my day 9 30 Days of Simply SLR homework).



THE FINISH LINE - YEA!!!
The couple pictured here tag along with bike rides across the country to raise awareness for Parkinson's disease. Although they are an older couple and she is ill, they've already biked across the state of Idaho or Iowa (I forget which), a journey that took them 7 full days. They arrived at our rest stop about 30 minutes after most other riders had left, but were determined to go 30 K before stopping.

Such determination!




The next shot is day 10 30 Days of Simply SLR homework. The challenge was to take a picture from wherever the student was when reading the assignment, to demonstrate that there is the potential for an interesting photo "wherever you are". Here's my shot.


And last but not least, I'm sharing this shot at Perceptive Perspectives, 52 Weeks of Happiness, Show and Tell and Good to Wow, where the challenge this week is "The Sky's the Limit". I decided to experiment with shooting a sun flare, and I really like this shot:






12 comments:

  1. I like the "potential" shot, especially since you probably wouldn't have taken it if it weren't for the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing with Walkabout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hardly bike across the street let alone a whole state!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty lighting in your class assignment and your sun flare. I look forward to your edit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your outdoor trip with us on *PicStory*. :) Most I like the last pic. LG Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. That old couple is definitely impressive! Good for them.

    I really like the pattern the light is making on the table with the mug. It just looks so interesting! Do you know what it's from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pics of the cyclists going past those pretty trees! What a scenic ride! Thanks so much for linking up once again! I really appreciate it! :) Hope you're having a relaxing day after your good deed

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is incredible to bike across an entire state! What a neat capture of an inspiring couple! My uncle has Parkinson's, so that caught my attention. Volunteering for such a worthy cause is the ultimate way of giving back. :) Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow that is neat!!! the photography was great btw! thank you so much for linking up and including us on you list of blog hops! we hope to encourage people to give back :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...so much fun. I used to run races for charity all the time but had to quit because of exercised induced migraines. I should start volunteering for races now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to see such a big turnout for this cause. Great shots you're sharing. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for comment moderation, but find it necessary in order to eliminate spam.

Thank you for your visit. I read every comment and value both your visit and your thoughts. Please stop by every Tuesday and share your favorite photos.